I Speak the Truth not Fiction

Tuesday, December 19, 2006


Another question


I need to pose another question, this is for the sports nuts like myself. In skipping my company party this Saturday, I decided to attend a women's basketball game with the love of my life and her eigth grade b-ball team. TU (Tulsa University) was playing one of my former classmates and Megs' former teammates team Arkansas. It was one of the best games that I have ever attended (apart from the refs keeping TU in the game. At one point in the game with the aid of the stupid refs TU took the lead, a lady on Arkansas' team proceeded to take over the game, hitting multiple 3's and taking the ball to the rack on several occasions (you can read the story here). As an observer this took me by surprise for during the time when Arkansas took their eleven point lead she was very passive deferring to her teammates, but when TU got too close for comfort she took over. I had the opportunity to meet her after the game because of my connection with the assistant coach. While I was talking with the assistant coach I found out the lady is only a freshman!

Anyways, I say all that to say this. I'm facing a dilemna, as a Cats fan, I feel restrained from rooting for any other team besides the Cats and Michigan. I do admit to owning several other schools apparel, is this wrong as well?

I guess my main question is, when is it alright to stop rooting for one team and start rooting for a team? If you fell in love with one particular style of play and a team that you root for has stopped playing that way and they play a style that literally puts you to sleep, is it alright to discontinue rooting for them? I say this just as a question for I never intend to stop rooting for either Michigan or the Cats, but it brings about good conversation I'd say.

With the whole Arkansas thing, I think that it's alright for me to pull for the women's team and the football team, because they both have roots in my alma mater. If it wasn't for Murray State than they wouldn't be where they are today, so as a way of being loyal to Murray State, I root for the Arkansas Women's Basketball and Football teams as well as Alabama's Men's Basketball team for the same reason, is this wrong? Provided I only do this when they aren't playing UK or Michigan. But what about when the UK women's basketball team is playing Arkansas, I had classes with the assistant coach at Arkansas, she was one of my wife's favorite teammates, I love the way the freshman played, I don't even know anything about UK's team, so who should I pull for in that match up? Oh the dilemna's of being a fanatic!

As you can see, I need some counsel in sports etiquette, so please, even if you are a tekkie chime in. Your opinion matters here!

As always, thanks for visiting and come back soon.

P.S. Thanks for the help with the tekkie post Jed. B-Walk if you stop by congrats on beating OK State yesterday. This brings up another question too, Bruce Pearl was the coach of my childhood fantasy team, when I was a kid I rooted for UK, Michigan, USI, and anyone that played either Duke or IU. I loved the way USI played, fast paced, shooting three's on the break, pressing constantly, it was beautiful! Now Bruce Pearl, the coach I loved as a little rugrat is coaching at a despised enemy, of UK who doesn't play a style of play that I agree with, how should a man feel about this situation? Who should the loyalty be to? The team or the coach or the style of play?

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, check out the Lady Racer's tearing up opponents and with a winning record in the conference, I can't remember the last time that happened!

Stay out of trouble.

11 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jeremy R. Edwards said...

Barnes, when all else fails, and you can't come to a decision of whom to cheer for - go with the team with the best uniforms. If you like both, then always revert to the team that may have a player with the same last name of a friend of yours. For example, "Antoine Edwards, or Vladivaka Rhea".

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Eric said...

I have so much to say on this I don't know where to start..too bad I'm at work.

First, a favorite team is a favorite team; you can NEVER change teams. But in special situations (like Illinois football), you are sometimes required to choose a second favorite team (mine now being Arkansas). It's ok to root for other schools as long as it in no way interferes with your favorite team's success.

And for the love, BRUCE PEARL???? I know we have lower expectations for sports 'heroes,' but that man is the biggest piece of slime ever to coach college basketball. Tennessee should be a well-hated team simply because they are coached by Satan himself. Try googling Bruce Pearl + Satan sometime to see what I'm talking about.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Robin,

If there was ever a way to lose your salvation, comparing Bruce Pearl to the Scriptures might be the #1 way to do so. Gee...and I thought we were friends.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Men,

Brian Barnes is a loyalty slut. I feel like if the University of Tennessee sent him a free bumper sticker in the mail, we could win him as a fan for life. Respecting a team or enjoying a player, system or coach does not constitute being a fan. You can only be a fan of one team per division of a sport.

Rob-base, I very much agree with your fan rules.

E-walk, every time that you see that Tennessee orange sport coat and those pit stains, it should remind you of what true integrity is.

Jeremy, Vladivaka Rhea happens to be my favorite player.

Understanding the value of a Pearl,

Brad Walker
President of the Bruce Pearl Fan Club

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Brian said...

B-Walk, I've never been called a slut in my life! If you actually read my blog you would see that I merely pose questions? In no way did I ever insinuate that I was ever going to be a UT fan. First off, whenever I was a kid it was all around town while Bruce Pearl was competing for D2 championships he was cheating on his wife. I was like 12 years old and I still remember that he was a scumbag then. I attempted to hide my opinions and be impartial in hopes to see what the common thoughts on this issue was. If you can recall in one of my comments in the forum we have was that I HATE UT with a passion! One of the worst things about attending Joey's wedding was not the 7 and 1/2 hour drive but seeing all those hideous UT fans traveling to Fayetville to get their butts beat by Arkansas and then repeating it on Sunday on my drive back. The Scumbag whom you are the president of his fan club + plus UT = even more hatred of UT for me. As you know, Brian Barnes is impartial and will give credit where it is due. The only reason why I congratulated you on the UT win over OK State is because it made the majority of my coworkers have a bad day and bolstered our two wins that we are going to have over you chumps this season.

Please keep in mind that we are on the world wide web, emphasis on world wide, thus calling people sluts, to the entire world may merit an apology, especially when it's clear that it was completely unmerited.

Also, Rob-dogg, you must have been joking when you compared Sleezy Bruce to the scriptures, and E-Walk, don't be mad when what's done in the darkness gets brought to the light even if it is by a man who is consistently unfaithful to his wife.

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barnes,

I love you, bro and you can cheer for the vols any day, my friend.

BW
POTBPFC

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Brian,

Regarding B-Walk's comments, did you honestly expect anything different from a Tennessee fan? Too often, fans start becoming like the coaches they follow. It's sad when it happens. Take the high road Brian; root against Tennessee in all sports, especially basketball, and then in football too just for fun. I think we all know what orange looks better anyway (that of Illinois).

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Brian said...

I know E-Walk, I know, the moment when I read B-Walk referring to me as a slut and not his coach I should have known. I slipped up, my apologies to all!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Jeremy R. Edwards said...

Gentlemen, enough already. Let's all just root for the Southwestern Montana State Tech Raggin' Elks, and leave it at that. I heard they beat UT in a scrimmage game early season.

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barnes, give us another post, my friend. We wait with anticipation.

BW

P.S. Calling someone a "loyalty slut" is different than calling them a slut. You are the former, not the latter. So for the name calling, I offer you no apologies.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Agreed. How about a post on how great Notre Dame is?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home